Friday, August 7, 2009

When Murphy comes to visit your family. . .


I'm sure you are all familiar with Murphy's law, which states "If anything can go wrong, it WILL go wrong. Well, Mr. Murphy came to visit our family this week. Hopefully, he is now gone...and we will not miss him!

It all began last Friday. . .
  1. I dinged up my van (see previous post).
  2. On Saturday, Eddie had a bicycle accident while coming home from work (see Paula's post).
  3. Brent and Rachel came to visit and drop off Aaron to spend a few days with us. On Tuesday, Rachel was was making a left turn into Target to pick up a couple of items, and a guy ran into her, totalling their van. (She had a green arrow, by the way, and thank goodness Rachel did not get hurt).
  4. So now we have one vehicle (Bruce's pickup) for 9 bodies, because my vehicle is in the shop getting repaired until Thursday, so everyone is basically "stuck" here at the house.
  5. Brent tried to rent a minivan to get family back to Utah. No one in Colorado Springs would rent interstate.
  6. Bruce went with Brent to Denver on Wednesday to look for a van to purchase. . . no luck.
  7. I took the two oldest grandkids to the Skysox game with Paula and Eddie and girls. (Remember, this was supposed to be our time with Aaron, but Bruce is in Denver with Brent.) We had to make 2 trips to the ballpark since their jeep was not large enough for everyone. After 1 1/2 innings, the game was rained out...bummer. At this point, we just threw the grandkids in the back of the jeep without seat belts, so we could all come home at the same time.
  8. Bruce incurs a head injury at work, leaving a nice gash in his forehead. (2nd time same injury, same location on head.)
  9. We got a phone call from my sister-in-law, Karen, last night informing us that our niece, Olivia had a burn accident the previous night. (She appears to be doing better, thank goodness.)
So, we're hoping that Mr. Murphy has now left, and this is our follow-up:
  1. We got my van out of the shop on Thursday afternoon. It looks nicer than it's looked in a long time, since they detailed it both inside and out before returning it to me. (I would recommend Arthur's Collision and Paint-this is 2nd time we've used them.)
  2. Reluctantly, I gave my key to Brent, and they took off to Utah in my van, with the promise that nobody would eat or drink in the vehicle.
  3. Bruce and I got tickets to fly to Utah on Saturday morning.
  4. Aaron was never able to spend time with Grandpa and Grandma, but we will make that up at another time.
  5. Eddie is recovering from injuries (scabs on face still very bad), and they will leave for Utah later this afternoon.
  6. Bruce has scab on forehead, but is OK.
  7. Youngest grandson, Jacob, has scratches and scabs on face that he continues to pick off.
  8. We are still planning on a family portrait on Saturday evening. We will try to strategically place individuals in group, so injuries show as little as possible.
  9. House is trashed, but cleans up quickly after everyone is gone. (It is expected, and a small price to pay for having grandkids visit.)
  10. Bruce and I are exhausted, but he still found enough energy to get up go to work this morning. I am still in my pj's and writing this blog post. I will clean house, do laundry, and pack for our trip this afternoon.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Cathy,
I know I was just thinking what is going on with the Leavitt family!!!
But thank heavens everyone is doing better and recovering. I hope everything works out for all of you!!!

Rachel said...

Cathy- I have to say thanks once again for letting us use your car and for the time we had there (I was going to say great time, but circumstances considering, I won't-though I did enjoy our time there otherwise). I really appreciated just talking to you too. I think I lucked out in the parent-in-law department!