Sunday, May 10, 2009

Reflections on Mother's Day and Mothering...




So, today being Mother's Day, I find myself reflecting about mothers...my own mother, and being a mother and some of the many memories I have of both. The most recent memories I have of my own mother are not very pleasant, so I like to remember some of the earlier times with my mother. One memory I have of a specific Mother's Day was when I was a college freshman attending U of A in Tucson. I called my mother up to wish her Happy Mother's Day and she started to cry. I asked her what was the matter, and she said, "This is the first Mother's Day that I haven't had one of my children home." I don't think I really understood that until it happened to me...then I knew how she felt. I loved my mother, even though sometimes she made me crazy. She always had faith in me that I could accomplish anything that I wanted if I put forth the effort. That always gave me the self-confidence I needed to do my best. I hope that I have somehow instilled that in my own children. It breaks my heart to see one of them do less than their best when I know they are capable of more.

As I think back on some of my favorite memories of my kids, I have to remember my two little "black boys." Black because they had both stripped down to their undies, and then covered themselves entirely with mud from a mud bath that they had made under the lemon tree in the back yard. The only thing I could see was the whites of their eyes. Of course, not all memories were pleasant, as the "garden" and "poop" episodes with Brent. He's lucky he's alive today. I think Heavenly Father blessed me with Tom, so I could have some peace in my life after Brent and before Paula. Paula was a difficult baby and child, but I remember how excited I was to finally have a little girl that I could dress up. I just think she had a very determined personality and strong spirit. It is that same spirit today that makes her such a good mother, a wonderful sister, and loving daughter. Paula is the "brains" of the family, Tom adds the humor, and Brent keeps us wondering what's next.

One of the hardest things that Mormon moms have to do is watch their sons leave on their missions, and one of the greatest joys is seeing them come home. Another difficult thing is seeing your baby girl get married. However, the joy comes when you are with all three of your children in the temple when that happens.

These are just a few random thoughts I had on this Mother's Day. I am grateful for each of my children, for the principles they live by, and the love they have for us. Thank you Brent, Tom, and Paula for being all this mother could ask for.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

You are a sweet mother. I know your children are very grateful to have you as their mother. Tom has so much love and appreciation for you! He is always telling me how he wouldn't be where he is today without you. He loves being around you and wants to make sure you are always taken good care of. Cathy, I am so thankful to have you as my mom!!! Lucy doesn't realize how lucky she is to have you as her grandma. WE LOVE YOU!
-Amanda, Tom and Lucy

Thomas said...

I love you Mom! That was such a fun little bit to read. However there is one small correction you might want to make, you didn't mention anything in there about Thomas also being your most handsome yet humble son. I'll forgive you anyway. Thanks to Amanda telling me about this fun entry.