Monday, May 11, 2009

On Losing your memory...




One of the benefits of getting older is that you start forgetting things--like where you put things, or things you need to get at the grocery store (this is why you need to make lists-if you can remember what to put on the lists). Since there are only two of us in the house, sometimes we try to blame the other person for misplacing something, and if that person doesn't admit putting it somewhere (or can't remember), then there is nobody left to blame except yourself. For example, last Saturday Bruce was paid for a small inspection he did in cash. He laid the money down on the desk upstairs, and then he couldn't remember what he did with it. So, when we figured it out that he must have put it in our cash pouch with the other cash we had, he checked there and the other cash we had in there was gone and then I couldn't remember taking it out or using all of it, so then we were trying to remember what we had spent cash on ( which we couldn't do). Then, the same day we went to Target to buy a few groceries. We went over what we needed before leaving the van, and then when we got in the van again to come home, we realized that we had forgotten something. Then yesterday, Bruce put the tithing envelope in his pocket to pay tithing (so he wouldn't forget). I asked him before Sunday School if he had paid tithing yet, and he said no and that he would do it. Then, when we got in the van to go home, he realized that he had not paid the tithing yet, so had to go back in the church to pay it. Then, there is the case of the "missing glasses." Bruce cannot ever remember where he puts his glasses (because he puts them in a different place each time), so has to spend extra time looking for them whenever he needs them. Sometimes he also has to hunt for his wallet or keys. I find myself putting things in places so I won't forget where I put them, and then I forget where that place was. It happens over and over. So I guess this is my reason for not exercising...I just forget to do it. Yeah right.

3 comments:

The Katy Daileys said...

I love this post and have a few of these things happening to me, too! We need our Sister Leavitt to do nursery! I am missing someone so organized as you. I will never forget all you did and used a lot of it when I was a nursery leader. Can I fly you up here to do ours? j/k, but I wish! Abigail is having a tough time because of all the chaos! Thanks for your good example!

Tiffany said...

I'm in so much trouble. I forget stuff all the time and I don't even have that excuse. I guess by the time I get to be a grandma I'm gonna be lucky to make sure I'm dressed everyday, oops I don't even do that now. OH WELL, I'm really in for it.

Amanda said...

Very funny! You are both so cute! We love you so much.
-Amanda, Tom, and Lucy