
This morning, after reading some recent blog posts from friends' blogs, I felt inclined to leave comments. As in many times past, I was asked to type in a "word verification" prior to publishing my comment. Another time when you are asked to type in a "word" is when you post something on Craig's List. It just struck me funny this morning that these computer generated whatevers were actually referred to as "words." So, I began to think of what these "words" could actually mean. Here are a few of the last "words" I typed in:
spitual: This could possibly be the word "spiritual," just typed wrong
barslyte: Could this possibly be someone sitting at a bar, drinking from only a very small glass?
daheas: Maybe some kind of flower
wallyh: Definitely someone's name "Wally H." It could just as well have been Wally G. or Wally M.
phose: Either phone spelled wrong, or another name for a funny hose, with the word being pronounced "fose"
Looking at these "words" then made me reflect back to the times when we played either Boggle or Balderdash together as a family. My first thoughts were of Tom, who was the best at cheating (or at least pretending to cheat) when playing Boggle. We had to keep a dictionary handy, as he would constantly come up with new "words." In the game of Balderdash, you have to make up definitions for unfamiliar words and then try to trick the other team into guessing for your answer. The most "fun" we had during a Balderdash game was actually after the game was over. Paula put several words together to make some crazy sentences. Rachel (who was 7 mos. pregnant at the time) began laughing so hard that Brent was fearful of her going into labor, and then Bruce began laughing so hard that he began to upchuck (not an extremely unusual thing to happen). Yes, we are your normal "fun and games" type of family.
6 comments:
That's one of my favorite memories with the Leavitts:) BTW my word to type in is vermallo....humm
So now I have this "word" ..."unbabi." Could this be a baby that isn't really a baby? Makes you look at these "word" verifications in a whole new light, doesn't it?
Hi Cathy! My mom forwarded me your family newsletter -- very cute! I was looking at your cake blog and was flooded with memories of playing with Paula at your house and it always smelling like freshly baked cake. I am so hungry now!! Anyway, your family looks great! I can't wait to read more about what you're up to!
Love,
Jen (Formally known as Klippel)
I love the generated words! It makes me feel better to know that the computer is a bad speller as well.. haha. Glad to here that thins are gong well and I am still jealous (in case you didn't know before) that you guys are in beautiful Colorado and I am stuck in Arizona. Hope you have a great day!
Best post ever. It's asking me to verify the word, "ovetelyp". This one is acrually a real word, Mom. Trust me on this one. Ovetelyps are aspiring orphans that are perusing a degree in veterinarian field research.
Yeah right, Tom...here you go again. I'm sure you're just making that up.
Post a Comment