Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Patriotism in the Classroom


I am a substitute school teacher. Today I taught Mrs. Hooey's first grade class at Springs Ranch Elementary. I had an experience today that renewed my faith in the school system, or at least in good teachers who try hard to teach their students correct principles. This morning as the students all stood to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, I was impressed with the respect that these little first graders showed, all standing at attention to the flag with their small hands over their hearts as they repeated the Pledge in unison. Observing this kind of respect is not always the case in many of the classes I teach. As I began to turn away after they had finished, the students remained standing with their hands over their hearts and began to sing our national anthem, "The Star Spangled Banner," word for word from the beginning to the end. I began to sing along, but could not finish, as I began to cry. I was so impressed with the fact that a teacher had taken the time to teach these young impressionable students the "Star Spangled Banner" and what it means to be patriotic and a true American citizen. Thank you, Mrs. Hooey for a job well done!

No comments: