Friday, April 5, 2013

Proper hiking equipment...i.e. Bruce, get some new shoes!

By now you know that Bruce and I love to hike... every chance we get... and we live in the perfect place to do so. I guess Bruce thinks he is immune to using proper equipment, so in the past he has hiked with tennies or other shoes with absolutely no tread. So off we go with his "treadless" sneakers and his Moses staff, which he informs me is better than my super trekking poles, because "trekking poles are for wimps." Well, this was all fine and dandy until we came across an obstacle on a recent hike that we were not planning on... snow and ice... lots of snow and ice! 

 On icy slushy trail with hiking shoes and trekking poles
 On snowy trail with treadless tennies and Moses staff
 Safe in snow
Not safe in snow

We slowly and carefully made it to the top of St. Mary's Falls (which I would suggest visiting during the late spring or summer if you actually want to see water running in the falls), but on the way back downhill, things became a little more treacherous, and Bruce ended up falling on his butt/back 3 times, as compared to my 0. This was most likely due to my guess what? Good hiking shoes and trekking poles... what a concept. Anyway, this happened last Thursday, and early this week, we were out getting Bruce some decent hiking shoes... finally. We originally took in some old leather shoes, that he said were really comfy, to see if we could get them re-soled. The shoe repair guy told him that they were beyond repair, and that he needed to buy a new pair. Thank you Mr. Shoe Repair Guy! So off we went to Famous Footwear (my favorite place to buy really good shes), and now Bruce and I have almost matching hiking shoes. By the way, these are called Birkie Trail hiking shoes by Columbia, but don't try to find them anyplace except Famous, because I think this is a special style that they do only for Famous Footwear.  

He tried out the shoes for the first time yesterday on our hike to Spruce Mountain. I still haven't talked him into the trekking poles, but he did add a new piece of equipment... his famous hat. So stylish! 


At trailhead
 
 Matching hiking shoes
 
 Bruce on the trail
 The "Moses Staff"
 Love my trekking poles


1 comment:

Katie said...

Such beautiful scenery! You inspire me to take more advantage of the great outdoors. Sounds like I need to do a little shopping first though :)