Sunday, June 21, 2009

Thoughts about Father's Day...

So today is Father's Day. We didn't see any of the kids today, but they all called to wish Bruce Happy Father's Day, as well as the grandkids. I made a nice breakfast this morning, and then Bruce went off to prison. I guess that sounds kinda wierd...Bruce went to prison on Father's Day. Actually, it is something he does on a regular basis. He goes to the prison to teach Sunday School lessons to the inmates. They always let him out to come back home--at least so far. Bruce is a great husband, father, and grandpa. Sometimes we take him for granted, and we don't tell him enough how much we love him. Thank you Bruce...we love you!!

Bruce on his 58th birthday

Grandpa with Lexi on 4th of July

Grandpa with Lucy and Amanda

Grandpa teaching Emma how to pan for gold

As far as thoughts about my own dad, who has been gone for several years... I was always my daddy's little girl. Some of the things I remember the most was going to see Elvis movies with my dad at the local theater and him coming to Primary daddy-daughter dates with me. He was very sensitve and cried easily. He always cried when he heard the national anthem. He and my mother were both naturalized American citizens, and his citizenship was very important and special to him. They had both come from Canada, where my dad was a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force. I remember looking at pictures of him in his uniform and thinking how handsome he was. No wonder my mother was smitten with him. My dad was a good father, except when he let his temper get out of control, or he started drinking, but I try to remember his good qualities.

My mom and dad in front of "Old Glory"

My handsome dad in his RCAF uniform

No comments: