Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Celebrating April 15th - Tax Day

Throughout the year, we celebrate various holidays...Christmas, Easter, Halloween, 4th of July, Valentine's Day, Groundhog Day. These days are usually happy, joyous occasions filled with wonderful family traditions. Then there's April 15, Tax Day. How do we celebrate Tax Day? By sharing what little money we have left from the year before with the IRS. Kinda reminds you of Robin Hood in reverse...instead of robbing the rich to give to the poor, the government is robbing the poor to give to the rich-the large corporations-so they can pay for their poor decisions and/or bonuses. I usually don't complain too much about paying taxes. After all, we do live in the greatest country in the world. However, this year I really don't appreciate how my taxes are being spent. That being said, I must reflect on tax preparation day in the Leavitt home. I have used Turbotax for years, so it does alot of my work for me. I still usually manage to spend a good majority of an entire day gathering info. and putting the numbers into the program, and then redoing some part of it before I'm done. Over the years, the program has changed. I miss the little automated persons with the annoying voices explaining where to put my numbers. Now I just have to read...very carefully. If you check the wrong box, then you have to go back and do it all over again. Now that we are older, have fewer deductions, and are mainly self-employed, we usually have to pay instead of getting a refund, so I wait longer to prepare the taxes. Just don't bother me on tax prep day, because I'm usually not in the best of moods. Last Friday was the long awaited day. I waited too long to get started, so I was up until 4 AM doing the stupid taxes. I was in a terrific mood when I went to bed, but at least nobody had to talk to me at 4 AM. So, how am I going to celebrate Tax Day? Maybe I will jump up and down with the realization that I don't have to do this again until next year, or may I will take all of my old herbal tea bags that I don't particularly care for and flush them down the toilet. By the way, even though we are having to pay federal taxes, we are getting a small refund from Colorado...imagine that!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Amen Cathy!!!! I totally agree. It's frustrating when you don't agree with how it's spent but you still have to pay it anyway.